Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Moms amaze me yet

Aren’t moms wonderful? We wonder how moms do it all. Moms are miracle workers who sometimes do what seems impossible.

Remember when you asked for cookies for the party in school? You forgot to tell Mom about it until the night before!

Or, you needed the right costume and, here again, you didn’t mention it until the day before you needed it; you knew Mom would come through with whatever it was.

My mom didn’t believe in corporal punishment. My sister and I were never spanked, and we weren’t perfect.

The only time I can remember my mom coming close was when my sister and I were scrapping and my sister hit the beautiful enormous fern that stood by the window - my mother’s favorite plant. Over it went with a crash that could be heard by mother. When she came into the living room she had to restrain herself from giving my sister a good slap.

Can you imagine our surprise? Mom was just as shocked.

The only reprimand she was ever known to give us when necessary was, “If you don’t stop it, I will tell your father,” and we knew it was time to straighten up and behave.

Poppa, when told about one of our misdeeds, would only have to give us “the look” as my sister and I called it, and we knew.

Father was of German descent and he could make us shrink when he looked at us sternly, as did our grandfather who lived in the other side of our duplex home.

Do you still remember any of the things you made in school to give to your mom? Does she still have it or them? Sometimes what you made wasn’t all that bad and she would tell you how great it was. Sometimes, even if it wasn’t so great, they would still praise it and place it in a spot where everyone could see it. Sometimes dad would take a gift to the office and place it on his desk. Didn’t that make you proud?

We all know that sometimes we would get pretty upset with our parents when they wouldn’t allow us to do something that we really wanted to do. They had the last word and you had to abide by it. But looking back, usually they were right and had your best interest at heart. You just didn’t recognize it at the time.

Remember Mom on Sunday. Take her out to dinner, buy her flowers, perfume, candy or all three. Take her for a ride to some place she would like visit.

She probably has a few odd jobs that need to be done. Take the time to do do them.

Whatever you do, wish her a happy Mother’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment