Thursday, September 15, 2011

Stairway full of memories

I bought a broom the other day, we really needed it.

Generally, the old one goes on our back porch to be used for the porch, steps and cleaning the grass off of the sidewalk after mowing.

Where do you keep your kitchen broom or vacuum? You may be fortunate and have a broom closet.

We don’t, so it hangs on the wall of the cellar stairs.

When I got the new broom home, I realized the handle wasn’t wooden like all of the others we have had.

To hang it I always drilled a hole in the top of the handle, strung wire through it and it was ready to hang.

It’s important that a broom hangs rather than just standing on the floor, because that ruins the the bristles. I tried using my electric drill on the plastic handle, and it just slipped right off.

Frustration. I called my cousin to help me.

The cellarway has a whole story of items that have at one time been used for every day, others that still are used. and those that hung there and still do because of all the memories connected with them.

For instance there is the wooden stool that we placed at the backdoor window so our Siamese cat could look out on winter days when it was too cold to go outside. She would sit there for hours watching birds and squirrels.

There is a tennis racket we use if a bird or bat gets into the house and my straw beach hat that I wore on the muck when topping onions and now in the garden when the sun is really hot.

There is my dad’s hat he always hung when he came into the house.

No reason to eliminate it just because he is gone. Sentimental, yes.

There’s a pancake griddle we use when there is company and we need a large one.

There is an assortment of pans and tubs.

Grandma used to soak her feet; we now use it to soak clothes that need special attention before going into the washer.

A shelf holds a scale for weighing veggies or fruit when we’re canning and a brown jug we used to fill with molasses from a barrel in the store.

A wooden cupboard above the shelf has a door with a porcelain knob.

It was built for an unusual reason.

If you read my columns you have read my mention of old houses that have nooks and crannies that are intriguing to me.

This cupboard was built solely to cover the chimney and there is no room for anything inside.

Look around your own house with fresh eyes.

It’s amazing what you encounter every day and don’t really “see” until you think about it or actually “look” at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment